Saturday, August 3, 2019

Books 12 through 15

After reading On Writing by Stephen King, I wanted something different. I returned to Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child for The Helen Trilogy: Fever Dream, Cold Vengeance, and Two Graves. I've been reading paperback versions of the Preston and Child books (long after their original publication) and they have a chapter preview of the next book.

I knew that the next book after Cemetery Dance was about Pendergast's wife's murder. I had questions: would I care about a character I hadn't met before? Would the wife's death just be a motivation for Pendergast?

I should have known that Preston and Child wouldn't disappoint. Each book was fascinating and took us deeper into the mystery of Helen and Nazis. I love when Nazis are defeated. Whoops--spoiler alert.

The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. I've read a few Tudor books by Alison Weir: some of the material in this book was also covered in Weir's Innocent Traitor novel. This book reinforced my hatred of the Seymours. It pains me to say that Jane wasn't so bad (except that she replaced my beloved Anne Boleyn) but her brothers sucked. Greedy and power-hungry, they were both executed during the reign of Edward VI.

For the past week or so, I've been catching up with magazines. I think I'll stay with the Tudors for my next book, a biography of Lady Jane Grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment