Thursday, August 29, 2019

Critter Sightings at Oyster Shell Park

Lola and I visited Oyster Shell Park yesterday by way of Mathews Park. We often see groundhogs at Oyster Shell. Today on the lower loop where the path runs along a hill I saw a groundhog in his hole looking directly at us. I've never seen a groundhog straight on before. It was kind of cute. (Though not on the level of rabbits or beagles.)

A few minutes later on the upper trail, I saw this hawk.


I think it might be a Cooper's Hawk (immature) or maybe a Sharp-shinned Hawk (immature) or even a red shouldered hawk (also immature.)  I just don't know. It was beautiful.

I guess I feel the way about hawks that Cassandra Mortmain felt about owls. She loved them, but wished they were vegetarians. I hate to think of that hawk catching one of the cute bunnies at Oyster Shell.

I remember an afternoon at Taylor Farm. We saw a bird high in the sky with something in its talons. The something was screaming. It was haunting.

In happier nature sightings, here's a monarch butterfly along the Pollinator Pathway at Oyster Shell.



No comments:

Post a Comment