Sunday, August 25, 2019

Changing the Billboards

Lola and I often go to Mathews Park in the morning and then take the Norwalk River Valley Trail to Oyster Shell Park.  One day last week we saw a truck along the trail; workers were up on one of the billboards. Later I saw the new billboard: Norwalk Hospital is now part of Nuvance Health.

I didn't know what that meant--besides another consolidation--but it got me thinking about Leave it to Beaver--of all things. I remembered an episode in which Beaver and a friend saw steam coming from a billboard advertising soup. Beaver said there was real soup in the bowl on the billboard, but his friend said no. I remember Beaver's friends were Gilbert and Whitey. (Beaver's brother Wally's friends were Eddie and Lumpy.) Going to IMDB, I see that my memory was pretty good. 

More recently, there was a Simpsons episode that featured a billboard. The episode led to a memorable version of "Kids" and a curfew imposed by senior citizens. The episode didn't make it to the list of my favorite episodes, but it had its moments.

I also remember a movie Good Neighbor Sam that involved billboards. My sister recommended it  to me. Reading IMDB comments, I see there is some offensive domestic violence dialogue in the movie. I don't remember that, but I haven't seen the movie in a long time. I remember a farce with a crazy driving scene, and a late night billboard defacing trip.

By the way, I did see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, but I'm focused on comedies here. Three Billboards could be another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment