Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Book 21: Girl Sleuth Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my brother about Nancy Drew. I knew my sister and I had read her books, but I didn't remember if they were too girly for Jim. No, he told me he read the books and joked about "a ruse to get the chums out of the house."

A few weeks later, he sent me the book Girl Sleuth by Melanie Rehak. It focuses on the two women who were most essential to creating the iconic character Nancy Drew: Mildred Wirt Benson and Harriet Stratemeyer Adams. Both were college-educated career women making their way in the business world.

The  book did a good job in setting up the historic backdrop of Millicent's and Harriet's lives and their competing visions of Nancy Drew.

For more on Nancy, check out this.

No comments:

Post a Comment