Thursday, December 26, 2019

Book 23: The Better Angels by Bette Bono

It's not often that I read a book written by someone I know. This is the first one that I've blogged about.

I may have met Bette about 10 years when I was a volunteer on her husband's mayoral campaign. Recently we've been in two writing classes at the library together: Hidden Stories and WPA Mural Inspired Writing.

She once mentioned she was working on a book about seniors and time travel. I was psyched when I ran into another person from our class who told me that Bette had sold her book.

In The Better Angels, Aggie May learns that she has developed the ability to travel in time--to move into the past. At first, these visits are brief and disorienting; Aggie wonders if she has Alzheimer's.

After a visit from the other AARP (the American Association of Remarkable Persons) Aggie begins training with other remarkables to find a missing artifact--an early photograph of Abraham Lincoln.

I enjoyed learning about the mechanics of time travel. In a weird way, I'm reminded about the mechanics and mythology of vampirism. In some books or films, time travel is done in a machine. Sometimes a person wakes up in a new reality. Sometimes an altered reality is more like an alternate universe rather than a straight timeline change.

I hope The Better Angels is the first in a series of books. I want to read more about Aggie's travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment