Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Book Five: The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir

I've been fascinated with Tudor England for a long time, starting with Anne Boleyn. At one point, I had 15 books on Anne (I haven't counted them lately.)

I've also become more interested in how the Tudors came to power. That's why I picked up The Wars of the Roses. 15th Century English royal history is messy: people changing sides, 15th Century slut shaming with the goal of literally delegitimizing royal contenders, plans within plans within plans (a la Dune.) Plus, everyone is related to each other. 

My biggest problem with the book is that it doesn't extend to the Battle of Bosworth Field and the ascension of Henry VII. That was the author's choice; she wrote about that time period in The Princes in the Tower. I need to read that book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment