Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Lists

Lists is the theme for homework for my next writing class. Writers sometimes use a list to reveal more information about a character (an example is High Fidelity by Nick Hornby--which I haven't read.) I have a few ideas, but haven't quite figured out where I want to go. 

The idea of lists reminds me of my first full-time job. It wasn't the most challenging or interesting job, but I worked with some bright and funny people.  It may have been Andy who started it all. When Natalie Wood and William Holden died, Andy responded with memorial quizzes. I also remember comparing lists of favorite movies. 

Betsey and I made lists of men we would take with us to a desert island. Then there was my personal favorite: dead guys we'd take if they were alive. Betsey listed Gary Cooper; I had Errol Flynn.

One time I came across a list that Butch had made of things he had to look up in the company library. I thought it was the height of hilarity to add "your kiss" to Butch's list (a la Hall & Oates.)

I left that job after a year and stayed in contact with my co-workers for a while before losing touch.

I hope everyone is doing well and still keeping lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment