Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Book Six: There is Confusion by Jessie Redmon Fauset

I have a notebook where I list authors I want to read or books I want to get from the library. A few weeks ago, I saw the book There is Confusion listed there. I don't remember where I got the recommendation but I'm glad I ordered it from the library. 

The book takes place in the early 20th Century in New York City and focuses on the coming of age of three Black children. Joanna Marshall has inherited her father's drive and is determined to succeed as a singer and dancer. Peter Bye is studying to be a surgeon and is driven to succeed to be worthy of Joanna's love. Maggie Ellersley has worked hard to bring herself and her mother out of poverty. Now she longing for respectability. All three have dreams that are hampered by racism and sexism. 

The title of the book comes from a Tennyson's poem "The Lotos-Eaters."

    there is confusion worse than death,
trouble on trouble, pain on pain,
Long labor unto aged breath...

This book was out of print for many years with a new edition in 2020. I'm glad I got to read this book. I enjoyed it and it reminds me of my need to expand my reading choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment