Saturday, August 7, 2021

A Mets Misery Meter

It seems that every time I thought about writing about the Mets this season, something bad happened: they lost a game or a player got injured or both. Now, I feel that it doesn't matter. 

The Mets were in first place in the National League East for almost three months. Until today. Of course, it wasn't just because of today's game. Too many games were lost against bad/mediocre teams such as the Marlins and the Pirates. 

I became a Mets fan sometime in 1985. 1986 was the first season I followed. I didn't appreciate how incredible the team was that year, finishing with a record of 108-54, over 20 games ahead of their leading competitor--the Phillies--in the National League East. Even with that record, the National League Championship Series and the World Series were challenging.

There was a time when I was happy to see the team above .500. I remember saying something like that in the 2015 season when the Mets made it to the World Series, but lost. I also watched them lose to the dreaded Yankees in 2000 and then the Cardinals in the National League Championship Series in 2006.

I guess it now hurts more when the Mets get close, but somehow blow it. 

Maybe first place in the National League East in 2021 didn't mean all that much based on how the other contenders seemed inept.  Now it's the Mets' turn to be inept. As someone reported, they're playing their worst ball at the worst time of the year.

Sigh. Fandom hurts. 

I don't want to give up hope. It's too soon for that. But reality is creeping in. In the next three weeks, the Mets play the Dodgers and the Giants 13 times. That's scary. If the Mets can't score against the Marlins and the Pirates, what hope do they have against the Dodgers and the Giants?

I guess the operative word is hope. Let's keep hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment