Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Re-reads

Sometimes I just want to read something, but I don't know what to read next or I'm not in the mood to start a new book. So I'll pick up a book that I've already read before. 

When I did that recently, I completely re-read two books: Straight Up and Dirty by Stephanie Klein and Driving Lessons by J.M. Gleckler. 

Straight Up and Dirty is basically Stephanie Klein's memoir about the break-up of her marriage and her return to the dating world and healthier relationships. The story is not linear but weaves between scenes from her marriage and of her new relationships. Stephanie is a good writer, but can be a little too cutesy with her made-up words (e.g. wasband.) I learned about Stephanie through a Sunday Styles New York Times story in 2005 and read her blog for some time. I liked it enough to get her book.

Driving Lessons subtitled: The Adventures of Matt & Marty McCly  by Joan (aka J.M.) Gleckler is about a married couple who become long-distance truck drivers. Each chapter details a person they meet or a place they visit on the road. I met Joan at the first writing retreat I attended about 30 years ago and heard parts of the novel  in progress. I enjoyed re-reading the book, but it wasn't as funny as I remembered. 

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: I picked up the book again to write this post about scents in writing. I didn't re-read it as much as re-skim it. Someday I'll write a complete post about the book and the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment