Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Swan Update

I first saw the baby swans at the end of May when they were swimming with their parents on the Norwalk River.  I posted pictures here a week later. 

A few times in the past two weeks, I saw the parents with only two babies or cygnets. I hoped this didn't mean anything ominous. Last Wednesday, I saw the whole family on the shore. That was a relief. 

The swans are mute swans. At first, I was a little confused because Wikipedia listed mute swans' habitat as Europe into China, but they are an invasive species. The swan family has been my favorite birds to watch lately. I haven't seen any egrets in weeks and no hawks in months. 

Even Lola noticed the swans the day I took the picture. She seemed annoyed when I stopped to look at them. Later she looked through missing slats on the fence to watch them for a few minutes. 

Usually the cygnets hang around with the parents until fall. I'll be watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment