Saturday, August 21, 2021

Unlikable Protagonists

I've seen some stories--more leaks and gossip items than stories actually--about the new Sex and the City reboot.

Jeff and I watched all six seasons of the show (first on Netflix, later seasons on HBO) and both movies. At some point I realized that I didn't like any of the four main characters. Carrie was self-centered, selfish, and obnoxious. Her friends? I liked Samantha the best; she would be fun to hang out with. Television Without Pity nailed it when it named them, Slutty, Prissy, and Bossy. Each was primarily a stereotype. Yet I kept watching. 

Maybe I got used to watching and enjoying unlikable characters by watching soap operas. You need characters such as Erica Kane and Palmer Cortlandt from All My Children, and Dorian Lord and Asa Buchanan from One Life to Live. They add spice and much of the action that drives the story. Actually I found all of these characters likable, at least at times. They were core characters who grew over the years. Truly evil characters such as Ray Gardner on All My Children and Mitch Lawrence on One Life to Live work in shorter story arcs. 

I have a similar reaction to some Reality TV personalities. I can enjoy watching their antics even though I couldn't stand most of these people in real life.

Unlikable protagonists are harder to overcome in dramas. Sometimes I get angry with Claire on Outlander and yell at the TV. But I still like Claire. That's not true about June from The Handmaid's Tale. I loved the first season, enjoyed the second. I'm not sure when I decided that I hate June. At the end of Season Three, she was carried off by the other handmaids after she was shot aiding the escape of many children to Canada. At first, I thought she was dead, and the angels were carrying her to heaven, and I was glad. I still watched Season Four, but find it harder to stomach her. 

The only show I stopped watching because I couldn't stand the protagonists is Lost. In this case, it was Kate and Jack. I'm not sure why this is the only show I abandoned, maybe because I had only seen a few episodes, and wasn't invested yet. From what I've heard, people were disappointed with the ending. Maybe it's good I didn't stick with it. 

As for Season Five of The Handmaid's Tale, I just have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment