Sunday, August 22, 2021

Waiting out Henri

We've been hearing about Henri all week. I have to admit that I didn't take it seriously until yesterday. Then I heard/read that this was the first time in 30 years that a hurricane/tropical storm hit landfall in New England. Power outages, storm surges, heavy rain, and flooding were predicted. 

We had plenty of food in the house, and have a gas stove so we can cook even without electricity. I had about 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank of gas in my car. I never expected to evacuate. We live on Hospital Hill and haven't had floods in this neighborhood in the 30+ years we've lived here. We do have emergency provisions, but I didn't feel the need to get them together. I did get out some battery operated lanterns and filled a big pot and several pitchers with water. I put a plastic tub in the bedroom under the ceiling where we had a leak last month. My optimistic expectations of a quick repair did not materialize. 

So far, so good. We've had rain, but no torrential downpours, no strong winds, no additional ceiling leakage. 

We have another 24 hours of rain predicted, but I think that once again, we've gotten off easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment