Sunday, October 23, 2022

Book 28: Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

My friend lent me this book. She described it as fun and I liked that it was around 200 pages. I have never read an Anne Tyler novel (though I had heard good things about several of them.)  

I enjoyed the story of Kate Battista. Kate's life is in a rut. She works as a teacher's assistant at a preschool, and keeps house for her father and younger sister Bunny. 

Now her scientist father wants Kate to marry his lab assistant Pyotr, so Pyotr can remain in the country. What will Kate do? 

I enjoyed the vivid, quirky characters. I expected a happy ending, but was never sure what would happen.

The subtitle of the book is The Taming of the Shrew Retold. I'm not familiar with that play, but don't care for the idea of praising the most obedient wife. Here, Kate makes a speech about how hard it is to be a man that felt unnatural to me. 

Still, a fun book.

No comments:

Post a Comment