Thursday, August 3, 2023

Book 19: Round Up the Usual Suspects the Making of Casablanca--Bogart, Bergman, and World War II by Aljean Harmetz

This was a fun read; Casablanca is my favorite movie. Even though I already knew some of the back story, this book gave me a lot more. For one thing, I didn't realize how much the United States government tried to steer movie content during the Second World War. I also didn't knew about the conflicts between studio head Jack Warner and producer Hal Wallis or that Warner Brothers was known to be extremely cheap (e.g. Harry Warner picked up nails dropped by careless carpenters; Jack Warner turned off lights when not in use.)

There were rumors that Casablanca was originally to star Ronald Reagan, Ann Sheridan, and Dennis Morgan. The book reveals that the story came from Warner Brothers publicity department even though it was never true.

The book mentions that Director Michael Curtiz liked to reuse techniques that had worked in previous films. I had noticed this in dueling anthems scenes. I've also noticed his use of reflections in Kid Galahad and The Sea Hawk.

Author Aljean Harmetz also wrote about the making of The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. I'll keep my eyes open for the latter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment