Tuesday, December 12, 2023

For the Birds

Today is the day I volunteer to care for the birds of prey at New Canaan Nature Center. In March, it will be two years that I've been volunteering there, but I haven't written much about it. 

Basically, I rake up the poop and leftover food, refresh their water, and give them new food. By giving them food, I mean I put down the food for them. I also prep food for the next day. That involves getting a meal together of frozen rats, chicks, mice, and/or quails with specific weights of food for each bird. Most times, I have to chop up some of the frozen animals. It can be difficult with the rats. If I had been told when I first called to volunteer that my duties would include chopping up rats, I probably would have declined. But I had already seen the birds and the other duties before I learned of the rat chopping, so I accepted. 

Currently, there are six birds in residence. I have pictures of five of them and have posted them before.

First, here is Ralph, the turkey vulture. She can be feisty; she's gone after my pant cuffs a few times and even untied another volunteer's shoelaces.


This is Mort, a black vulture who is the newest resident. He seems mellow, but always hungry.



Here's Jasper. I'm fond of him even though he tried to fly onto my head. 


Next we have Gus. In his new aviary, he hides near the roof. I haven't actually seen him in a while, but still talk to him.


This is Tupelo, he's usually very vocal. You can see his open beak here.


Phoenix is kept in a separate aviary, and I keep forgetting to get his picture. Maybe next week.

Here are two birds that we've lost since I've been a volunteer.

This is Hedwig.


Here's Glory. 

My feathered friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment