Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween Consumption

One of my tutoring students told me yesterday that she's too old to dress up for Halloween. I didn't tell her that I was dressing up myself.

Our friends have a Halloween party every year. They spend hours decorating their house, inside and outside--ghosts, skeletons and spider webs.

The theme this year was Mardi Gras. I saw some incredible authentic masks from New Orleans (courtesy of the hosts and fellow travelers to the Big Easy.) A few of the women wore beautiful gowns as well. I didn't wear much of a costume--my real clothes with a multi-colored glittery top hat, glittery makeup and several strings of beads. I taped a feathered mask to a chopstick and carried it. It was passable, but not particularly creative. It would help if I didn't wait until the last minute to decide on a costume.

At a party store, Jeff saw a jester costume that he liked. The $125 price tag was the end of that. I balked at $40 for a cape. It just seems silly to spend a lot of money for a one-time event. Even more of an issue is--where do we put all the stuff after Halloween? We just don't have a lot of space. Our storage bin already has two big boxes of Christmas decorations and two small Christmas trees. At least we use them every year. I don't see myself wearing the same Halloween costume year after year.

After today, I guess we're officially into Christmas season, though some stores have already put out Christmas merchandise. At least I haven't heard any Christmas carols yet.

But for now I have to figure out where to store the top hat, beads and masks. Then there are the five bags of candy for our non-existent trick-or-treaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment