Tuesday, July 16, 2013

For Trayvon

I'm not a leader; I'm not an activist. I sometimes wish I were both, but I don't act upon those feelings.

When I first heard of the shooting and killing of Trayvon Martin, I had no doubt that racism played a major part in Trayvon's death. Racism is deeply embedded in our culture. The fact that it makes us feel so uncomfortable may be the reason we have to need to talk about it.

I watched much of the trial, but missed several key parts of the testimony. I also heard things that the jury didn't. I tried hard to disregard my feelings and beliefs about the case and imagine I were a member of that jury. Regardless, I don't understand how the jury could have acquitted Zimmerman on manslaughter. 

According to the juror interviewed on CNN (disclosure: I only saw part of the interview) the jury seemed to completely believe Zimmerman's version of his "encounter" with Trayvon. I didn't believe his story. Why did they?

The jury also didn't consider race as an issue. Another thing I don't get. As I said, it's embedded.

My heart goes out to the Martin family and friends, and all of us who believe in justice.

Believing in justice reminds me of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment