Sunday, July 7, 2013

Top Ten Most Read Books

I was going through my inbox yesterday cleaning out some old emails. I came across a link to this graph. There's more detail to the list here.

I've read five of the books if I count partial reads. Starting with the number one book, I've read various passages of the Bible in Sunday School and church. I also researched passages for a reading at our wedding. At one point, I started reading Genesis but quickly gave up.

I read one of the Harry Potter books, The Chamber of Secrets. I picked it up on the mistaken belief that it was the first book in the series. I enjoyed it and may read the others. The Harry Potter series is ranked third.

The Lord of the Rings is number four. This series is one of my favorites; I've read the books about three times. Middle Earth is a fully realized world, both beautiful and frightening with intriguing characters.

Gone with the Wind, the eighth book, fascinates me from its first line: "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were." Parts of it are well-written, other parts are difficult to slog through. 

The Diary of Anne Frank ranks tenth. I'm happy to see this book on the list. Holocaust survivors and witnesses are dying while others deny its existence or downplay its severity. Despite her tragic death, Anne's words live on.

 The books I haven't read:

2. The Quotations from the Works of Mao Tse-tung
5. The Alchemist
6. The Da Vinci Code
7. The Twilight Saga
9. Think and Grow Rich

I'll have to find out more about The Alchemist; I haven't heard of it. I doubt it I'll read any of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment