Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What I'm Reading

Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof

This is one of about ten books I bought a few years ago at various library sales. I had seen the John Sayles movie; the film seems to be faithful to the book (from what I remember.) I intended to re-watch the film before I posted here (alas, I thought I had a copy of the DVD, but didn't.)

The book is thoroughly researched and fascinating. It covers the plan to fix the 1919 World Series as well as the games themselves--describing how the players ensured that the White Sox lost--the investigation, the trial and its aftermath. Asinof couldn't have created a more interesting story or cast of characters.

One of the things I liked best was a vivid description of the post World War I Chicago. It was a beautiful way to set the scene for the Series. Eight Men Out is more than just a baseball story; it's an American tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment