Monday, July 29, 2013

Netflix Movie Night: Django Unchained

Django Unchained

Well, I didn't like this movie as much as most of the critics. 

First, it was too long. I admit I'm prejudiced against long movies, except for movies with large source materials (e.g. Gone with the Wind and Lord of the Rings.) But as a general rule, I think long films are self indulgent.

The film is bloody--excessively bloody--like projectile bloodletting. It brought me out of the story many times.

The scene with the KKK-type organization with their misplaced hood eye holes is played for laughs. There's nothing laughable about the Klan or similar vigilante groups.

Another key plot point really bugged me. King Schultz shoots Calvin Candie  because Candie insists on shaking his hand. That was just ridiculous, but without it, how would the bloodbath get started?

On the plus side: the acting was good though I wasn't blown away by Waltz, who won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Schultz.

I liked that the ostensibly smart (i.e. based on his biased society's views) Candie was fooled by Schultz' elaborate con. It's his less powerful sister who sees the attraction between Django and Broomhilda. Then his slave Stephen correctly deduces that Django and Broomhilda are married, figures out the con and alerts Candie.

An interesting film that could have been much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment