Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Birthday, Anniversaries, and Transitions

Last weekend marked some important milestones. I'm not sure why I didn't write about them then. Maybe I just needed more time to reflect.

I had a birthday, a big one. I'm now officially old. I am now on Medicare (which is financially advantageous for us) and I've started getting a pension.

It's weird. I've started out wanting to get older, wanting to be an adult. I guess most of us aspire to be 21. Then I wanted to be 29--I thought that age would be the height of sophistication. Later it was 39--I'd still like to be that age.

I didn't mind getting older. I didn't lie about my age.  I celebrated a 50th birthday party. 

But now, my age has put me in a bit of a funk. It feels different. I'm not just a year older. It's not entering a new decade. I'm in a new category--a new phase of my life. In many ways, it's the last phase. This doesn't mean that I'm giving up or waiting for the end. The best may be yet to come. But I have to be realistic, the majority of my life is over. It's only natural for me to mull over about what I have and haven't accomplished. 

May 23rd marked 10 years of blogging. I haven't always been consistent, but I'm still blogging.

Memorial Weekend Friday was the 15th anniversary of the first Dog Park Friday (DPF.) I think the heyday of DPF is over, primarily because of Covid-19. But we plan to continue going, and we have some fond memories of previous years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment