Monday, June 15, 2020

Saturday Night Movie: Pride & Prejudice 2005

Saturday I was perusing the movie options on demand and found this version of Pride & Prejudice. I read the book last month and liked it. I thought Keira Knightley would make a wonderful Lizzie, and she did.

Matthew Macfadyen made a great Darcy. I loved Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennett: Sutherland brought a lot of warmth to a small supporting role. Judi Dench was good as the snobbish, imperious aunt. It was fun to see actors we had previously seen in other shows: Simon Woods from Rome, Tom Hollander from Absolutely Fabulous, Rupert Friend from Homeland.

I loved the way the film showed conversations in the middle of dances.  I wish the film spent more time on the scandal of Lydia and Mr. Pinkham and how serious it was. My only quibble was the corny last few lines of dialogue. 

Edited to add: I just learned on Wikipedia that the corny last few lines  is the American ending: I should have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment