Tuesday, September 22, 2020

More From Writing Women's Lives

As I wrote previously, I found many wonderful passages in this book. 

Mary Antin: 

Silence upon silence is added to the night; only the kitchen clock is the voice of my brooding thoughts,--ticking, ticking, ticking.

I'd like to read more of her work.

Madeleine L'Engle:

If we are not willing to risk to fail, we will never accomplish anything. All creative acts involve the risk of failure. Marriage is a terrible risk. So is having children. So is giving a performance in the theater, or the writing of a book. Whenever something is completed successfully, then we must move on, and that is again to risk failure. 

Lucille Clifton:

Things don't fall apart. Things hold. Lines connect in thin ways that last and last and lives become generations made out of pictures and words just kept. 

Diane Glancy: 

Do you have something bothering you? Get into it. That will save the problem of writing boring poems...
    
I think it's also important to know why you write. When I go into a bookstore & see shelves full of books, I think why do I do this? Hasn't it been done better than I can do it? That's when I have to be able to look at myself & decide, I have something to say too--These other books can move over & make room for mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment