Sunday, September 20, 2020

Latest Films

 It's been a while since I wrote about movies I've watched, so here goes. 

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey: I'm not familiar with the comics and didn't see Suicide Squad. This was kind of fun, but I absolutely hated Margo Robbie's (Harley Quinn's) voice. Unfortunately, she's the narrator. 

JoJo Rabbit: We enjoyed this movie and its quirky mixture of comedy and drama. Example: Adolph Hitler as JoJo's imaginary friend. 

Kind Lady: I watched this for Basil Rathbone who starred as a conman posing as a poor artist in an attempt to fleece a generous art collector. He recruited a fake wife, doctor, friends and borrowed a baby for his scheme. I caught a problem early in the film when Rathbone's character went to get a doctor. Of course he brings his crony. How would a homeless artist know a neighborhood doctor? Fun Fact: the doctor was played by Murray Kinnell who was memeorably killed by Jimmy Cagney in The Public Enemy. Kinnell also recommended Bette Davis to George Arliss for a role in The Man Who Played God. That was Bette's big break.

Miller's Crossing: This is a Coen Brothers film that I've wanted to see for a long time. We watched it tonight, and I want to see it again. On the surface, it's a battle between Irish and Italian gangsters. But, there's a lot more going on than that.

Eyes in the Night and The Hidden Eye: I've seen these movies before and wrote about the first here. I liked these films and wished the series had been longer. I did miss Allan Jenkins and yes, Mantan Moreland, who were in the first, but not the second film. Moreland was funny in his talks with the German Shepard Friday. Friday is the best character in the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment