Tuesday, September 15, 2020

New Fall Classes

Yesterday I started another fiction writing class offered by the Norwalk Library--the third consecutive class via Zoom. 

Our teacher Kim Kovach talked about a French literary techinique called Oulipo, using constraints or structures to create works. This class is larger than the last class, so Kim has extended the class time from 1.5 to 2 hours so we can all read. 

We did an in-class exercise using dialogue only to write a one-page story. The set-up is: the doorbell rings; a character answers the door and says, "Oh, it's you again."

Homework for next week: write a two-page story about a character who finds a note on his/her car windshield. I'm finding it challenging to get an idea. Wow, I just got one and wrote a few lines.

Today I started a class at Rowayton Arts Center: Mixed Media and Collage. It's one of two in-person classes this fall, limited to six students (we have five.) The other four students have more art experience than I have, but I'm not intimidated by that. They are open and friendly, and the class was a lot of fun. Our instructor Mari Gyorgyey encouraged us to bring in older artworks which we can re-purpose. I'm excited to try some new techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment