Monday, June 14, 2021

Saturday Night Movie: I Tonya

Jeff and I recently watched I, Tonya. It was more of a why not rather than a must see, but I enjoyed it.    

The acting was very good. I was impressed by Mckenna Grace as Tonya at 8 to 12 years. I checked IMDB, and I've seen her in a few things--most recently The Handmaid's Tale. Margot Robbie first appeared as Tonya at 16. That was not believable: it took me out of the scenes. I wish they had hired another young actor for a scene or two. Sebastian Stan was very good, as was Paul Walter Hauser. As for Allison Janney--she was very good, but I don't think her performance was Oscar-worthy. 

I watched much of Tonya's story in real-time TV coverage. She didn't have much of a say in how she was depicted there. It appears that she was abused for much of her life and had trouble breaking out of that cycle. The media took its turn as well. 

I always had some sympathy for her as an underdog--as an outsider. No one needs yet another fairy princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment