Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A Catch-Up Post: Our Anniversary Getaway

It's been a busy eight days since my last post. On Wednesday, I met a friend I haven't seen in about 10 years for coffee. It was great to catch up, and we promised not to wait another 10 years. I came home to do laundry, finish packing, and give Lola a bath.

Jeff had a doctor's appointment Thursday morning, but it's on the way to Interlaken. Lola and I walked around outside, and I played my Spelling Bee game on my phone as we waited.

We stopped in Kent for lunch and a little shopping. After we checked into our room, we headed to Harney & Sons in Millerton, New York. We were disappointed that the tea tasting bar wasn't open. We drove around Lakeside and Salisbury and checked out restaurant locations. (We were also disappointed with the Morgan's Restaurant menu at the hotel.) 

We decided to eat at The Woodland Restaurant; it was listed as dog-friendly and had outdoor seating. When we arrived, we learned that they weren't serving outside. We had a drink at the bar as we waited for takeout. Woodland had no utensils to go; we got them from Morgan's. We talked with another couple at the bar. They insisted we shouldn't eat in our room. Instead we should go to a park (without utensils apparently) or go to another restaurant with our Woodland food. I thought that was the height of rudeness. We were fine eating in our room (even though we had steaks, and I neglected to get steak knives.) Oh well, the steaks were delicious and large enough to provide Saturday night's dinner as well. 

The next day--Friday--we stopped at a local farm to buy meat. It's usually open Friday, but was closed that Friday. We also attempted a visit to a winery we hadn't been to in years. It's also usually open Fridays but closed that Friday. Bummer. 

We drove to Norfolk; I wanted to see the house where I had attended a writer's retreat, but wasn't sure which house it was. We walked around the small downtown, then headed home. 

We stopped at White Silo Winery for a wine tasting and a cheese plate for a late lunch. We really like the dry rhubarb wine (as weird as it sounds.)

We met a friend at the dog park and got a bit wet when it drizzled. Dinner became a bit of a problem. We wanted to eat outside with Lola, but we were worried about the rain. We had trouble getting reservations and a parking space, but ended up having a good dinner at Sedona Taphouse even though they screwed up my entree. 

Overall, a good anniversary despite some disappointments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment