Thursday, September 2, 2021

Book 19: Anne Boleyn by Eric W. Ives

I've read several books about Anne Boleyn, both fiction and non-fiction--I currently have 22 books on Anne and the Tudors on my bookshelf. Somehow, I have only now read this book which is probably the definitive biography of Anne as "one of the makers of history." Ives goes into great detail, researching correspondence, bills, and other records. So much detail that at times, I skimmed though a paragraph or two. 

I was especially impressed with Ives' analysis of the coup against Anne and her faction led by Thomas Cromwell. So many people think Anne's downfall was simply a case of Henry's eye wandering elsewhere. Ives skillfully explains how it was a coup engineered by Thomas Cromwell. Four years after Anne's death, Cromwell would also face Henry VIII's "justice."

No comments:

Post a Comment