Saturday, September 11, 2021

On September 11

So it's September 11th, the 20th anniversary of that September 11th. Most of the news coverage for the past week has been about the news from 20 years ago. 

I get it: September 11, 2001 is a seminal moment of this century's history. Everyone will be asking where were you then.

I'm watching the Mets/Yankees game now. I was at the Mets/Braves game on September 21, 2001: the night baseball returned to New York. I know what that game meant.

There are enough stories without reporters needing to weave them out of nothing. I'm thinking of a Ken Rosenthal report on the Fox broadcast. I think the report was about Anthony Rizzo. Rosenthal gave a build-up of Rizzo's connection to the World Trade Center. Here it is: his uncle (I think) worked on its construction. Big deal. Maybe that's a story for a family dinner but not for a national TV broadcast. What's next? Random player's mother/father/brother/aunt once went inside the World Trade Center?  It's irrelevant. I'll go as far to say these random connection stories demean the meaningful memories,

It's September 11th, but every utterance does not have to be about that September 11th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment