Sunday, September 26, 2021

Bonanza: The Wilton Library Book Sale

 I got ten books today for $23.50 at the Wilton Library Book Sale, listed in the order I took them out of my shopping bag. 

1. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon: this is the second book in the Outlander series. I enjoy the TV show although Claire often drives me crazy. I doubt I'll read the whole series of books, but wanted to check this one out.

2. Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman: another TV inspired purchase. I loved the series, so I'm looking forward to reading the book. 

3. The Romanovs The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie: I loved Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra as well as the film version. This book describes the exhumation of the mass graves to solve the mystery of the Romanovs' executions.

4. Katherine of Aragon The True Queen by Alison Weir: this is the first in a series of six novels about Henry VIII's queens.

5. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston: After reading There is Confusion, earlier this year, I added Hurston to my reading list. This is a 20th century classic.

6. Jubilee by Margaret Walker: Another title I recognized from my reading list. This is the true story of Walker's great-grandmother that Walker wrote weaving together her family's oral history with her research. 

7. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House by Eric Hodgins: a film inspired purchase--this book was in the nostalgic section of the sale. I can't wait to see how it compares to the movie. 

8. Queens of England by Norah Lofts: I have two books by Norah Lofts about Anne Boleyn: one nonfiction and one fiction. This book covers Boadicea (not technically a queen) to Queen Elizabeth II. 

9. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy: I was inspired by Laura Vanderkam to read this book. It's lots of short chapters. In the version I bought today, it's only 696 pages, but small print. 

10. Jane Austen: Three Complete Novels Sense and Sensibility; Pride and Prejudice; Emma: I loved Pride and Prejudice (when I finally got around to reading it.) Now I have three books in one volume.

Plenty of reading material for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment