Sunday, October 10, 2021

Rally for Abortion Justice

Last Saturday October 2, I participated in a rally for abortion justice. We met on a bridge heading into the main shopping area of Westport, CT. We waved our signs, chanted "My body, my choice," "Mister, Mister, keep your laws off my sister," and "We won't go back," and cheered as passing motorists beeped at us. We were most encouraged by truck and bus drivers beeping to show their support. 

At first, I was annoyed that the organizers expected us to bring banners. Then I figured out what would work for me. I played around with sizes and fonts on my pc and printed out two 8.5 x 11 pages: one read "Abortion is Healthcare," and the second read "Keep Abortion Legal." I glued them on 9 x 12 mixed media pages. Next I taped them to a yardstick, so I had a two sided sign. My sign (not me) made the local News 12 telecast.

Here are two of my favorite signs from the rally.  I cropped out the people because I don't have permission to use them in my blog.

                "When government controls decisions for her, she is being treated as 
           less than a fully adult human, responsible for her own choices."



Other favorites:

"Hey GOP I'm only three but I already know it's my body."

"Nevertheless, she persisted."

There were a few signs with coat hanger imagery, "I Stand with Planned Parenthood" (I had this on a bumper sticker on my last car) and "My body my choice." I think I was the only one with "Abortion is Healthcare."

I only saw three people in cars who gave us a thumbs down. Many cars just drove by, but many beeped in support or waved. 

Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal showed up with a local candidate I didn't know (I don't live in Westport.)

I hope the politicians paid attention to us and all of the rallies across the nation.

Keep Abortion Legal.

Abortion is Healthcare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment