Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Danbury Railway Museum or Searching for Sylvanus Part Two

Last Saturday, I visited the Danbury Railway Museum. I didn't have any reason to believe that it might have information on Sylvanus Merwin, but it would be negligent not to check out a place within 45 minutes of Norwalk. If it didn't have specific information on Merwin, it might help me become more familiar with local railroads. 

The trip was disappointing. Most of the display materials and paraphernalia were from the 20th Century. I did see a map listing Merwinsville as a destination on the rail line. A small exhibit covered how the rail and telegraph industries were related. (Fun Fact: Samuel Morse built a telegraph in 1843--the same year the Merwinsville Hotel opened.)

I happened to visit during the autumn fundraising. The usual $7 admission was raised to $15, but included a train ride to the Pumpkin Patch (usually priced at $15.) I could have walked two minutes to get to the destination of the 10-minute train ride, but I did get cider and cookies. Also the engineer showed me the Railway Post Office Car. That was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment