Monday, October 11, 2021

Searching for Sylvanus

On Saturday I had an appointment with the New Milford Historical Society to do some research on Sylvanus Merwin. The results were disappointing. There was information, mostly promotional materials about the renovation of the Merwinsville Hotel. I did get some tidbits of information that the researcher kindly copied for me. I had wanted to buy a book on the history of New Milford, but the gift shop was unexpectedly locked. I could have bought the book online, but preferred to give the sale to the Historical Society. 

I had expected to do research for a few hours, but was done in about a half hour. I headed up to Merwinsville Hotel for an art show. I talked to a few people there about my research and then found two books that could be helpful to me in the museum. I had expected more from one book; it only had about three pages about the hotel. The second was a tome of the Merwins in America. I found the entry for Sylvanus, and I think my best bet may be to find his descendants. I just didn't have to time or inclination to research further. I had opened the book on a display case, and it was just not conducive for research.

I need to carefully review the material I have on hand and make plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment