Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Book 25: Mercury Boys by Chandra Prasad

I was exhausted yesterday (not sure why) and had a slight come-and-go headache. I decided it was a great time to finish the last 60ish pages of my book.

The author Chandra Prasadwas was a presenter at the Crime CONN at Ferguson Library in June, and I liked her. I bought this book then--and got an autographed inscription.

About a third of the way through the book, I thought that I wanted to like this book more than I did. It took a while to get going. Truthfully, I might not have minded so much if the key plot points weren't listed on the inside of the dust jacket. It's like a movie trailer spoiling the main points of the movie.

Around that point, I read the line, "their eyes met," and I could only think of Bette from my writing class. In one of her stories, she wrote something about romance characters--their eyes couldn't just meet, they had to lock. After finishing the book, I thought the word choice was deliberate and smart. 

About half-way through, the book, I really got into the story. I didn't pay as much attention to the mean girl/toxic friendship subplot because I was focused on the sci fi plot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment