Friday, November 11, 2022

Book 29: Plays By and About Women Edited by Victoria Sullivan and James Hatch

I got this book at a library sale, but not sure which one. I don't see it listed in a previous post or in my latest book list.

The book includes eight 20th century plays. I was familiar with two from screen adaptations: The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman and The Women by Clare Boothe. I haven't read any plays in a long time. It's fun to read a different format than a short story or novel.

The other plays are:

Overtones by Alice Gerstenberg

Play with a Tiger by Doris Lessing

Calm Down Mother by Megan Terry

The Advertisement by Natalia Ginzburg

Rites by Maureen Duffy

Wine in the Wilderness by Alice Childress

The plays give a bleak assessment of womanhood in the 20th century: men always let women down, women can be their own worst enemies, and opportunities for women are limited. 

The plays I enjoyed were The Children's Hour, The Advertisement, Rites, and Wine in the Wilderness. Wine in the Wilderness was the only play with a remotely happy ending. I'm glad the editors ended the book with that selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment