Thursday, November 10, 2022

The Great Escape

Last Saturday, Jeff, Jace and I visited friends Jen and John and their dog Katie. This was Jace and Katie's second meeting. Two neighbors and their dogs joined us. All the dogs got along, although there was some barking especially when a mail carrier had the audacity to park his mail truck in full view of the dogs. 

After the neighbors left, I asked if Jace and Katie could play on the dog run. When Jen opened the gate, Jace saw his opportunity to take off. He stopped to pee at the end of the lawn, and I thought he would return. No. He ran down the street and into someone's backyard. 

I thought I had him trapped. The yard was fenced on two sides and the back was bordered in bushes. I should have remembered a saying on one of our beagle pillows: "a gifted escape artist." Jace got through a makeshift fence along the hedges to the next yard. 

He ran down the next street. I've never been much of a runner and knew I could never catch him. I went back to Jen and John's to get Jace's leash, my keys, and car. Jen was also chasing Jace.

I drove a few blocks before I started to worry about Jace. Both Jeff and I had thought he would quickly return to me. I had actually been more worried about Jen's reaction--I knew she would feel guilty. Then I heard Jen say I've got him. "Yay," I said. 

Later I realized that I had never said, "No, Jace," or "Jace, stay." He usually responds to "Stay." Maybe he thought this was just a fun romp. Luckily he was safe. I need to be more careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment