Friday, May 3, 2013

A Second Life: The Resurrection of One Life to Live

I wrote an earlier post about the end of One Life to Live. ABC dumped it and All My Children, but there was a plan to migrate both shows to the Internet after their broadcasts ended.

I don't know why the original plan failed (and don't care enough to research it.) But ultimately, both shows began their Internet runs on Monday.

Each week consists of four 30-minute programs (including commercials.) A fifth episode is is a beyond-the-scenes look at the show.

I've watched most of all five OLTL episodes. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. It has my favorite characters: Blair, Dorian and Natalie. It also has my second tier of favorite characters: David, Bo, Nora, Clint and Viki. The first episode focuses on the opening of a new club, Shelter that Blair owns, and Dani overdosing at the club. Dani (and her mother Tea) are among my least favorite characters. New actors portray Matthew (the previous actor was one of the best teen actors) and Destiny (a short, chubby girl is now tall and willowy.) It's a little disconcerting, but I'll keep watching.

As for All My Children, I only watched the first episode. It's set five years after the last broadcast episode, so there's a lot of exposition required to catch viewers up and account for the sorased children/teenagers. It was hard for me to figure out all the characters and their relationships: I had given up on AMC long before it ended. I may watch more episodes because one of my favorite characters, Dr. David Hayward, is featured (upon his release from prison.)

Now,  I'm more optimistic about OLTL's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment