Monday, May 13, 2013

From Page to Screen: I Capture the Castle

I have written about my favorite book here. I remember reading that Disney had the rights to the film, but don't know what happened with that. BBC made this film in 2003. Last week I re-read the book so I would have it fresh in my mind as I re-watch the movie.

I had often thought about how I would cast the film. I thought Rachel Blanchard would make a good Cassandra, later Evan Rachel Wood. (My sister suggested Sara Gilbert.) Romola Garai is perfect as Cassandra and  Rose Bryne is wonderful as Rose. Oddly, I pictured Paul Simon as Simon; I had a very good picture of him with a beard on a Simon and Garfunkel single (maybe the Boxer.) Neil was rather vague to me; I pictured a version of Neil Diamond (I guess singer/songwriters were on my mind.) Topaz was the most interesting character to think about casting. I imagined Carol Kane, Meryl Streep and most recently, Tilda Swinton. I liked Bill Nighy as James. Joe Sowerbutts as Thomas was the only really wrong note. He seemed much younger than what I had imagined and nerdier too.

I even started on a screenplay myself. I didn't get beyond the opening scenes. My opening was similar to the one in the film. I would have shown them selling off the furniture to demonstrate the Mortmains' financial decline.

I love that the first words after the credits were the first line in the book: I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.

I usually prefer novels to their film adaptations.  I Capture the Castle is no exception. Many scenes seem rushed, especially Midsummer's Eve, and the plan to lock up James.  Only the night out in London scene seems more fully realized than its counterpart in the novel. I loved the choice of the song, "You and the Night and the Music."

A few scenes--not in the book--seem off: the emotional discussions between James and Cassandra, James and Topaz, and Cassandra and Simon, Mrs. Cotton telling Cassandra that James will never write, as well as Rose and Neil's wedding. The bear scene fell short.  I also think the film did not capture (sorry) the bleak poverty and actual hunger the Mortmains suffered.

What bothered me the most: the idea that Stephen prostituted himself by sleeping with Leda Fox-Cotton. I never got that impression from the book. Actually I didn't get that impression from the film either. That's what the screenwriter thought, according to her commentary.

All-in-all, a decent to good movie; the highlight is Romola Garai's performance. But the film was disappointing to me as a big fan of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment