Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WAC: Lunchtime Artist Talks

The current exhibition at the Westport Arts Center is Solos. I have to admit that I didn't get it looking through the exhibition the first time.

It was great to hear a few of the artists describe their work. I attended two of the talks, and unfortunately, was late today and missed most of the first artist's talk.  It's fascinating to hear the creative choices behind each piece. I still don't get some, but there are others I now understand.

Gail Rothschild's piece (unfortunately, I don't know its name) was the one that I appreciated the most. She uses archaic textiles as her subjects. Her paintings show the making and the unmaking of textiles, just as Penelope wove and unwove a burial shroud each night as she waited for the return of  Odysseus.

No comments:

Post a Comment