Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Working Out by the Numbers

I joined my current gym in 2010. It was one of those things I procrastinated about until a special promotion waived the initiation fee.

I made a goal for 2013 to exercise at least a half hour every day. I knew I would never achieve this goal; this is clearly a stretch, an aspirational goal. I decided to start with gym visits weekly.

I got off to a slow start; I started exercising at home on January 7, then made my first trip to the gym the next day. Soon I got into the three weekly visits. I told myself that even if I missed a visit or two, I wouldn't skip weeks or months as I did last year. But then, Spike had a crisis.  Although that was only valid to miss a few days, or at most a week, it took me a month to get back to the gym.

As of April 30, I made as many visits to the gym in 2013 as I had made in 2012 or over 200 percent as many visits in the corresponding period last year. It doesn't sound as impressive as it could. My gym visits were pitiful last year.

I'm trying to switch things up by increasing my weights and using free weights more often.

Another work in progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment