Monday, May 6, 2013

Baseball Blues (and Oranges)

About a week-and-a-half ago, I planned to write a post about the Mets. I'm not sure how I was distracted from writing the post, but I'm in a different place now.

It was April 24. The Mets beat the Dodgers in a spectacular fashion--a 10th inning walk-off grand slam by Jordany Valdespin, his first home run of the season, and the first walk-off grand slam for the Mets in 22 years. Valdespin also saved pitcher Matt Harvey from suffering his first loss of the season.

At that point, the Mets were 10-9 for the season; the Dodgers record was 9-11.  I felt a moment of hope and pride: the Mets were expected to be bad; the Dodgers had spent a fortune to bolster their chances--they should have been better.

I wish I had written that post.  After that, the Mets dropped the next six games.

As Ada Calhoun put it in her review of Mike Piazza's book, you can tell a Mets fan by the current aura of despair. But we're still true to the orange and blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment