Friday, November 29, 2013

In the 56 Percent

I had two tutoring appointments today, and I heard many commercials as well as news reports about Black Friday shopping when I was in the car. I hate the over-commercialization of Christmas. I hate that the holiday is just another excuse for rampant consumerism. I hate how the start of the Christmas season creeps earlier each year.

I heard that 56 percent of Americans do not intend to go shopping this weekend. I am among that group. I have no interest in shopping on the busiest shopping day of the year. I don't want to wait in the cold to fight crowds and get stressed out.

I just don't get the appeal.

One of the most frustrating recent developments has been the extension of Black Friday to Thanksgiving day. It bothers me on principle, but more importantly it's troubling what this does to retail workers, forced out of their holidays. It was damn disappointing to hear how successful Thanksgiving day sales were.

No comments:

Post a Comment