Sunday, November 10, 2013

Vermont Getaway

Jeff and I hadn't been up to Vermont in years; I'd forgotten how much I like it. During the drive up, I looked at villages nestled in valleys and tried to imagine myself in them. Snow showers started as we approached our motel in Quechee. That was a bit of a shock; I hadn't prepared myself for snow.

We didn't have much time to explore. We checked out Quechee Gorge Village Friday and today (we didn't have time for the antique mall on Friday.)  Yesterday before the wedding, we drove over to Woodstock and did a little shopping.

Instead of taking highways the whole way home, we selected a different route. We took I-91 down to Brattleboro and then took Route 9 West (also known as The Molly Stark trail) to Bennington, where we picked up Route 7. We stopped at Hogback Mountain for the 100 Mile View and finally found a restaurant in Lanesborough, Massachusetts around 3 PM for a late lunch.

It was a long day. Our drive up including a quick lunch stop took four-and-a-half hours. Our return drive: nine hours. We spent about 45 minutes at Quechee Gorge Village and much longer than expected at lunch. We also made a few wrong turns. Early nightfall made the drive seem longer and less enjoyable. It was a relief to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment