Saturday, October 10, 2015

Chicken Soup

I'm a big fan of rotisserie chicken dinners. I pop the bird in the oven for a half hour and usually make stove top stuffing and a salad--a nice easy dinner.

Last week our friend Jenn was talking about using rotisserie chicken carcasses to make broth for chicken soup. I've never made my own broth before and tried it this week. I bought two rotisserie chickens on Monday. We ate most of one for dinner. Then I cut off the chicken and cooked the carcasses in a large crock pot for about six hours to make a broth.

Tonight I made chicken soup using that broth and leftover chicken. I sauteed garlic, shallots, jalapeno and yellow pepper and added that to the broth. I also added chicken, three carrots and celery stalks, and some fresh thyme leaves. This was the best chicken soup I've ever made.

Making broth was took time, but wasn't labor intensive--the taste was worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment