Thursday, October 8, 2015

Jury Duty and a Traffic Jam

Yesterday was not a good day.

I got up at 6 to go to Stamford for jury duty at 8:30 AM, then waited until 9 to hear an annoyingly perky clerk advise us about what to expect. Next we watched a video, followed by a live appearance by a judge (who used to be our state representative or senator.) At this point, we had gotten three different versions of what to expect as a juror and how important jurors are to the American way.

A break until 10 to wait for the lawyers extended to 10:15. The lawyers gave a brief description of their civil case, listed names of potential jurors, parties to the lawsuit and witnesses. I wasn't called for that jury and was released around 12:30. As I was waiting, I analyzed my time logs (more on that later.)

I served on a jury about 12 years ago, and enjoyed the experience. But that came a relatively slow time in a job and lasted only three days. Now jury duty could have worked if court sessions ended early enough and I could make my tutoring appointments. But it was a relief not to have to try.

I went home for lunch and to walk Spike and then headed to the office for a tutoring appointment. Returning home, I entered I95 right into a huge traffic jam. A major accident around my exit (15--can you tell that I'm from Jersey) and backed up traffic for four exits. I got off the highway at the earliest opportunity and tried several back roads: it took me 1.75 hours to get home (normally a 15 minute trip.)

I don't want to make light of the accident--at least one person was killed: being stuck in traffic is nothing compared to that. But as I was creeping along, I was thinking that the traffic jam bookended a wasted day.



No comments:

Post a Comment