Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Book Three: Dragonwyck by Anya Seton

I picked up this Gothic romance because I enjoyed the film starring Gene Tierney and Vincent Price. I like the film better than the novel; it condensed the story and cut out some unnecessary scenes. I liked Gene Tierney's Miranda more than book Miranda because Gene showed more personality.

Both book and film open with the Wells family receiving a letter from a distant cousin Nicholas asking if one of the Wells daughters can live with him and his wife Johanna and help with their daughter. Miranda has no interest in the family farm and is raring to go. After Johanna dies, Miranda and Nicholas fall in love and marry. Miranda becomes the mistress of the gloomy Dragonwyck.

I learned about the Dutch patroon system by watching the film. I had never heard of it before. The book includes a scene at the Astor Place riot. I enjoy learning history in my reading. 

I may read Green Darkness by Seton as well. It involves time travel to Tudor times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment