Saturday, January 15, 2022

TCM Noir Alley: Repeat Performance (1947)

The film opens (after a brief narration) with a murder offscreen. Sheila Page (Joan Leslie) has shot her husband. She escapes into crowds celebrating the New Year of 1947. She wishes she could relive 1946 over again to avoid shooting her husband, and suddenly she finds herself in the early hours of New Year's day 1946.

Sheila identifies Paula Costello as a danger; Sheila's husband Barney fell in love with Paula in the original timeline. Sheila believes if she doesn't go to London, Barney and Paula won't meet. But Paula shows up at Sheila's New Year's party. That wasn't supposed to happen. 

The new 1946 continues. Although it doesn't unfold exactly as the original timeline, Barney still falls in love with Paula, and Sheila still faces a crisis on New Year's Eve. 

There are some issues with the film. I can quibble with some of Sheila's actions and some of the dialogue. The biggest problem is that Barney is nice for about one hour of the whole year. I understand why Sheila may not want to kill him, but her determination to save her marriage doesn't make sense. Some people complain that the movie gives no explanation for Sheila's repeat performance. I didn't need an explanation. I love stories about alternate realities and timelines. 

I first saw this movie about 30 years ago. I think it was on the old A&E Network. Then I didn't see or hear of it for years. Apparently the film was almost lost. I'm happy it's been restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment