Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Milestone

Today we officially released my mother's apartment back to her retirement community. I thought once we accomplished this, I could take a breath and relax.

I was so naive.

But at least we can cross off another item on the list.

Our original apartment release date was supposed to be last Tuesday. The Move-Out Coordinator couldn't make it then, so we rescheduled. Then I didn't make it today. My sickness became bronchitis. I was game to go, but Jeff went instead. He and my brother Jim took care of the final walk-through.

I felt guilty for not being there, but it was better for me to stay home and take care of myself. I'm glad I vacuumed her place last week and didn't leave the mess for today.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I'm going to list some of the things we have accomplished for my mother, instead of worrying about all the things left to do.

We turned in my mother's driver's license, converted it to an identification card, sold her car and most of the contents of her apartment. We got mom into a private room and moved down some furniture and many photos and paintings to make it more homey. We submitted and got her long term care insurance approved.

Damn, that doesn't make me feel as thankful as I thought it would. Keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment