Friday, November 23, 2018

Book 15: The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport

I think I first learned of this book from Modern Mrs. Darcy and I heard about MMD from Laura Vanderkam.

After I re-read Nicholas and Alexandra, I looked for a sequel or update at Norwalk Library. I had vaguely heard about one by Massie. The library didn't have it, but the reference librarian suggested The Romanov Sisters.

In the main Romanov history narrative, the sisters are basically footnotes with the action centered on Nicholas--followed by Alexis and Alexandra--with the focus on the former's hemophilia and the latter's dependence on Rasputin.

Rappaport uses excerpts from the girls' diaries to bring them to life. In some ways they were normal teenage girls. But it wasn't only their royal blood that made them different--it was also their sheltered, even claustrophobic upbringing--and then their tragic deaths.

Thanks to Helen Rappaport for giving them voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment